Climbing Goals/Plans for 2017

Converse like you would around a campfire. This is a safe place for share your climbing accomplishments, discuss spiritual matters and/or chat about almost anything. Disagreement is allowed and even encouraged. But getting nasty, mean and inappropriate is not. Thanks and enjoy!

Moderators: SRCFCMedia, SRCFCDirector, SRCFCOffice

Climbing Goals/Plans for 2017

Postby SRCFCDirector » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:09 am

Do you have any climbing goals for 2017? Perhaps you are planning to do a specific training program or learn how to be a lead climber/belayer. Some people don’t like to share their plans (and I can respect that) but if you are willing to share, please post them here. It will be place where we can encourage each other and even pray as we attempt to “Climb Hard” for God’s glory.

MY PLANS FOR 2017

During a SRCFC’s mission climbing trip to Cuba in 2013, I cleaned up and attempted a routed called “Justo la Encadenó” (5.12a/7a+) at Tuinucú. I was not able to send it on that trip. As part of the 2017 mission trip to Cuba, we are returning to that same crag. I plan to give the route my best effort and hopefully come away with a send.

Calvin Cleaning Justo la Encadenó 5.12a (7a+) at Tuinucú Cuba.JPG
Here I am cleaning “Justo la Encadenó” (5.12a/7a+) at Tuinucú, Cuba

Upon returning from Cuba, I’m going to do a four week hang-boarding program based on Eric Horst’s thoughts at http://trainingforclimbing.com/video-tr ... episode-1/. My hope is to discover a Smith Rock project at or above my current hardest redpoint to do this spring.
Calvin Landrus
Solid Rock - Climbers for Christ
Executive Director
SRCFCDirector
Site Admin

Re: Climbing Goals/Plans for 2017

Postby sidney » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Admirable goal Calvin! I know you will get stronger. My goal for this year is to climb my age in pitches. I will not yet say how many that is… but you know I am an old guy. One great weakness of mine is endurance so this will be a great challenge. My birthday is July 5, so I need to start training NOW! My hope is to spend that day climbing more pitches than I have ever done in a day.
sidney

Postby hbillingsley » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

As some of you may know, late last year Birmingham, AL received another climbing and training facility called High Point Climbing and Fitness gym. Since the opening of this awesome facility, i have expanded my skills in climbing tremendously!! Now that i have a way to frequently train and get plugged in to the local climbing community, i have gone from V1-V2 bouldering problems to V3-V4 etc problems and tackling lead routes that i never would have imagine i could do. The talent and mentors that I'm surrounded by continues to shape me as a climber. Just recently i joined a small group bible study where we meet up every Monday night to share the gospel and engage in climbing sessions together. This year i have made a promise to myself to climb my impossible! I have grown so much in this sport and i continue to grow everyday. I can't thank God enough for all that he has blessed me with!
hbillingsley

Postby johnc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:28 am

I'm stoked on upping my trad game at Lumpy Ridge this Spring/Summer and just getting stronger in general to send more projects in Potrero next season! Plus, not exactly climbing related, but I get to continue personal ministry with a lot of climbers this year, so praise God for the opportunity!
johnc

Postby Jesse Dank » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Hello Everyone!
These are all awesome goals guys, thanks for sharing. My main goal is to simply be better about my solid rock involvement. In the past I have been very ambitious about it, but I sort of got caught up, and have pushed it towards the back burner. I plan to be much more involved this year, as I was in the past year.
As for actual climbing goals. well I just want to be outside as much as possible. I took a job as a climbing instructor for my home climbing gym in June of last year. Since that time I have been in the gym climbing almost daily. I fear I am becoming a gym rat lol. The last time I climbed outside was memorial day weekend in Vantage, Wa. Part of me thinks I am over reacting, and that I wouldn't be outside anyways because it is winter. But since I spend so much time in the gym, with so much time since I last climbed on real rock, it really seems like a big deal. Please pray the plastic away! Hahaha
-Jesse
Jesse Dank

Postby SRCFCDirector » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:42 pm

VIDEO REPORT on Goal #1 from Calvin Landrus.
It's a pretty goofy, self report!

Calvin Landrus
Executive Director
SRCFCDirector
Site Admin

Postby jonathan3 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Three days from now I'll be getting elbow surgery to hopefully fix some problems I've been wrestling with for over three years. Climbing vertical rock will be put on hold for about six months while I heal; however, Lord willing I'll be returning to the Himalaya in the summer for more work with Solid Rock. Depending on how the elbow is functioning at that point, I plan on tackling a few new peaks with some friends from India. If I'm not up to doing the uber technical ascents, I'll just play guide for the same friends on some of the peaks that I've already bagged. We have tentative plans for Ama Dablam in the fall of 2018. Anyone that would like to join me this summer is more than welcome to. Just shoot me an email at jonathan@srcfc.org and I'll get you the info!
jonathan3

Postby deanolin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:45 pm

My revolving 2017 goal is to climb half-as-hard as Calvin! :) My goal is to lead my first 5.12 trad route (I'm looking for a soft one!) Another goal is to become more involved with SRCFC because someone told me that if I do that I'll be able to climb harder with less effort. Actually I'm making it my goal to be more active in my climbing circle of influence. With Galatians 2:19-21 in mind - "For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law—I stopped trying to meet all its requirements—so that I might live for God. My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die." Climb on! ~Peace
deanolin

Postby Chris W » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I have a couple of goals this year. First and foremost get spirituality refueled, my faith has not wavered but it has been beating down over a lot of trials over the past couple of years between attacks on our church and on going health issues. Second try to figure out what God's plan is with my climbing, I feel that he has been leading and teaching me. But I have no clear vision of what his plan is yet. Third to climb my age on my birthday July 7, not in pitches, in ratings. (50 pitches is not possible at least for me).
Chris W

Postby brionifitch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:10 am

A good climber friend and I have a plan in motion to do the Beckey-Chouinard on South Howser this summer so that's a big aspiration. In general I need to climb better for my body and stop full crimping so much! And lastly, and most important, I strive to continue to witness and to give an answer for the hope that lies within me (especially to my aforementioned climbing buddy).

Brian
brionifitch

Postby SRCFCDirector » Thu May 25, 2017 7:09 am

Well, how have I done with 2017 goals that I optimistically posted above?

One goal was a project I had started on a previous trip to Cuba. Once back on the route, a send felt as far away as the dark side of the moon. It became obvious that I will need more time on the route to refine beta and recruit the finger strength required to send it. Another goal was that upon returning from Cuba, I planned to start a hang-boarding program based on Eric Horst’s thoughts at http://trainingforclimbing.com/video-tr ... episode-1/. Well, God had other plans for those weeks as my role as president of the local basketball officials association blew-up, requiring so much time that it felt like a fulltime job. Since that caused a back-log in other areas of work and life, I haven’t found time yet to start a training program. Another goal was to choose a “next level” project at my home crag (Smith Rock) that I could begin working on. Even that hasn’t happened yet.

Well, perhaps you haven’t accomplished what you would like to have yet in 2017. Please notice the key word in all of this is yet. Why? Because “yet” can be a powerful word of hope and encouragement! My pastor often reminds us that, “the best is yet to come.” That’s not because of the greatness we can muster up from within ourselves but from what God does for us and can do through us.

Life was going so bad for the psalmist that he is questioned by the crowd as to where his God was. However, even in the middle of that he proclaims: “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” (Psalms 42:5 NIV) A sacrifice of praise (Hebrews 13:15) is so pleasing to God and ushers in His power in our lives.

Obviously, my climbing “woes” have no place at the table when considered against the significant trials and heartache we all face. At the same time, we should never discount the joy God allows us to experience through the journey of trying to climb hard and how those lessons learned can increase our faith in God’s plan in all areas of our lives.

So, if you haven’t YET had a chance to share, please take time to post them now. Although I have YET to start a training program, I plan to give that a go this summer. I have gathered all of “Coach” Horst’s videos from http://trainingforclimbing.com on one forum at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=991. I plan to post how the training goes for me on this page.

BONUS MUSES: Although my published goals have gone unreached, I still had “climb hard” moments happen this spring. Read about them on Where Climbers Gather.

I was able to send a sport-route (Gimme Back My Bullets) near my highest level in Red Rocks during the Rendezvous and able to climb the ultra-classic multi-pitch climb called Epinephrine (VI, 5.9) with my son, Jaxson, while there. Like a baseball player getting back in the batter’s box after striking out, both of these were return visits. It always takes “climb hard” effort to return to a climb one has failed on the past, even if there is good reason for the failure.

WP_20170327_09_57_17_Pro.jpg
Jaxson leading the last of the three chimney pitches.

WP_20170327_12_19_41_Pro.jpg
Some of the awesome face and crack climbing high on the route.

WP_20170327_14_38_12_Pro.jpg
Happy father and son on top of the route. It took us eight hours on route and car to car in about 12 hours.

Another “climb hard” moment came via a comment by a high-profile climber about my belaying. Over the years, my belaying had gotten sloppy and I was called out about it (by my son actually). So I made some changes, and those improvements paid dividends this spring. Through a friend, I ended up belaying a high-profile climber on a mini-project (that’s what I call routes that should take just a few tries to send). On a beta burn, he took a couple of falls close to the ground and I kept him safe but also was able to give him a soft catch with good attention and body movement. Then on his next go, while moving through the crux with ease, a foothold suddenly broke and he fell off. Once back on the ground, he complimented me by saying that he had full confidence in my belaying and was glad I was belaying him when the hold broke. Remember climbing hard is more than just climbing hard but also about being a good partner.
Calvin Landrus
Executive Director
SRCFCDirector
Site Admin

Postby Andrew6 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 pm

I love these kind of lists! Funny Calvin and I haven't talked about this as I've also read some Horst books and also listened to some podcasts. I actually just decided to try Steve bechtel plan and I reached out to him and we talk tomorrow. I'm going to do a plan for the whole summer, so that should be fun! His ideas I liked as he builds a program that works with your normal climbing schedule. So since I live near Smith, he will incorporate 1 or 2 days a week into my plan. He helps me build a goal pyramid and so I'll keep you posted on that one. I'm feeling very blessed and thankful for finally not having a lot of back pain, so am excited to see if I can actually get better at climbing at age 53.
Andrew6

Postby SRCFCDirector » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Good luck Andrew6 with training. Have a great time with Steve Bechtel.
Calvin Landrus
Executive Director
SRCFCDirector
Site Admin

Return to Gather Around the Campfire