Fall 2018 National Conference Plans

Converse like you would around a campfire. This is a safe place for share your climbing accomplishments, discuss spiritual matters and/or chat about almost anything. Disagreement is allowed and even encouraged. But getting nasty, mean and inappropriate is not. Thanks and enjoy!

Moderators: SRCFCMedia, SRCFCDirector, SRCFCOffice

Fall 2018 National Conference Plans

Postby Corey_Messer » Wed May 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Hey Family,

I want to start this thread to talk about plans for the National Conference this Fall. I know when Calvin visited the Lynchburg:SRCFC chapter this past fall to help us during the Craggin' Classic he was also here to cast vision for the Fall National Conference at the New River Gorge (NRG), WV.

While we're all praying for healing over Calvin I know he wants us to work together and make this conference happen!

During the Craggin' Classic Calvin and I really liked the location of Rays Campground. I know the owners and they have a big field on the edge of a forest we can all camp in beside a pond. There is also bath houses with electricty for showing and charging electronics. Rays Campground is centered between NRG Proper climbing throughout the New River, Meadow River climbing, and Summersville lake climbing.

What has been the previous National Conference iteneries, we can use those to plan this conference too!

Please make a post, as were all in this together!

Every Climber & Every Climbing Community,
Corey Messer

A laborer in the Harvest,
SRCFC: Lynchburg Chapter Coordinator
Cell: (304) 541-1174
corey.messer@gmail.com
Corey_Messer

Re: Fall 2018 National Conference Plans

Postby SRCFCDirector » Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 am

last years schedule for review

THE SCHEDULE
NOTE: You can enter and leave the schedule at any point. If you need to connect with the group at any time and not sure where we are, reach out to Calvin (541-408-5846) or ​TBA. More details and activities will be scheduled as we grow closer.
Sunday, Oct. 22
9:00 am: Meet at Trout Creek Campground/Day Use Area
Daytime: Crack Climbing Camp and set up camp
8:00 pm: Evening Gathering
Monday, Oct. 23
8:30 am: Morning Devotional
Tuesday, Oct. 24
8:30 am: Morning Devotional
Wednesday, Oct. 25
8:30 am: Morning Devotional at Trout Creek Campground
Daytime: Transition to Smith Rock State Park Bivi
Daytime: Climbing at Trout Creek/Smith Rock or Rest Day
2:00 pm: SRCFC Board Meeting
Thursday, Oct. 26
8:30 am: Morning Devotional at Smith Rock Bivi
Daytime: Climbing at Smith Rock
7:00 pm: Dinner and Evening Gathering at Smith Rock Community Church
- Speaker: TBA
Friday, Oct. 27
9:00 am: Self Rescue Clinic (see details below)
7:00 pm: Dinner and Evening Gathering at Smith Rock Community Church
- Speaker: TBA
Saturday, Oct. 28
7:00 pm: Free Community Dinner and Craig DeMartino Presentation at Smith Rock Community Church
Sunday, Oct. 29
8:30 am: Climbers Church with Craig Demartino at Northern Point
6:00 pm: Come Climb with Craig DeMartino at Bend Rock Gym
Self Rescue Clinic - Friday, Oct. 27, 9:00 am: Climbers of all ability levels should know how to get themselves and their climbing partners out of a jam. This course will teach you how to deal with problems that could arise while climbing. You will learn and practice escaping the belay, raising with mechanical advantage, leader rescue, lowering and rappelling with an injured partner, and passing knots through a belay / rappel device. This course is being provided by David Potter of Smith Rock Climbing Guides. A $10 donation to Solid Rock secures your spot.
Calvin Landrus
Solid Rock - Climbers for Christ
Executive Director
SRCFCDirector
Site Admin

Postby Akleich » Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 am

Any word on what date the national conference is? (If a date has been set). If not, I would certainly recommend setting the date towards the end of October. That's the prime climbing season and would be the best time to reach the most climbers traveling there.
Akleich

Postby SRCFCDirector » Tue May 15, 2018 4:15 pm

The dates are set: October 25-28, 2018. Bonus climbing days for those coming a distance will be from Oct. 28-31.

Andrew has also sent out the following email to get the ball rolling:

Ok guys...I'm chomping at the bit with psyche as always, so I just went ahead and put together a mock schedule with some ideas. Let me know what you guys think. Obviously things may be adjusted significantly, but I wanted to get something written down to get things started.

Thursday Oct 25th:
-8:00 a.m.- meet at Ray's, discuss itinerary and "gospel ticklist" competition/prizes
-Daytime- just climb (perhaps have everyone pick one partner they haven't climbed with before and then head out)
-8:00 p.m.- Catered dinner w/communion
-9:00 p.m. - campfire speaker- the meaning of the Gospel, being a witness, authority of Christ, God's will

Friday Oct 26th:
-7:30 a.m.- small group devotionals led by chapter coordinators (have members split up and meet with other chapters)
Daytime- trad clinics @ Junkyard, Bridge Buttress, Beauty Mtn., (maybe Fern Cirque for more advanced climbers)
-8:00 p.m.- speaker/communion
-9:00 p.m. - self rescue clinic

Saturday Oct 27th:
-7:30 a.m.- devotional/prayer led by chapter coordinators
-Daytime- trad clinic @ Junkyard, Bridge Buttress, Beauty Mtn. (Maybe Fern Cirque)
-7:30 p.m.- catered dinner @ AAC campfire; campfire preaching

Sunday Oct 28th:
-7:00 a.m.- devotional/prayer led by chapter coordinators
-8:00 a.m.- assist Ray's wife with campground duties
-Daytime- just climb
-8:00 p.m.- speaker
-9:00 p.m.- conclusion and "Gospel ticklist" competition results

Some notes on these ideas:

1) I have a similar vision of the theme of the conference. I think if we truly understand the Gospel and what it means, we no longer have to "do witnessing" because we ARE witnesses of God's love and God's power, now that God has set us apart and changed us. I believe this should be the overall theme. God spoke to me about my life's mission four years ago, and teaching believers about the real Gospel is part of that mission. Because of that, I would love the opportunity to speak about it, and I know Corey mentioned interest as well.

2) I've secured free Rock and Ice subscriptions to whoever climbs the most routes from our NRG "Gospel Ticklist." These subscriptions can also be prizes for a simple ticket lottery at the end, so more than one person gets a prize.

3) I like the idea of having catered dinners on Friday and Saturday, but I also think it may be of great benefit to have catered meals when we have speakers (particularly the first day), so people don't have to worry about cooking, and can focus on the message. I thought having a speaker the first evening would be important for setting the tone of the whole event, so that's why I placed catering on that day. Let me know what you guys think of this.

4) In the past, when I was climbing alone, I would always just show up at the AAC and start a campfire in the communal campfire ring to bring people in. Then I would ask if I could climb with them the next day. It usually worked well. I thought I was clever for this idea :) Anyways, I thought it could be a good ministry tool if we did a similar thing, but then talked about the Gospel around the fire instead. If we had a free meal as well, people would certainly come flocking. It will be peak season at this time, so there should be plenty of dirtbag climbers there.

5) For morning devotionals, I thought it would be easiest to split up into small groups led by chapter coordinators, but just have everyone go to the leader of a different chapter than their own, to encourage other brothers and sisters in the Lord.

6) I thought it could be cool to have an evening speaker/prayer/devotional/communion at Sunset Overlook. Could invite non-believing climbers to this as well.

7) I thought it would be good to take some time to assist Ray's wife with campground duties, or whatever else she needs, since she is now a widow.

8) We could always check out Pies and Pints for catering. If not, my wife knows a few people that could potentially do it.

Let me know your thoughts, criticisms, etc. on these ideas, and any others you may have!

-Andrew

please post your thoughts...all are welcome!
Calvin Landrus
Solid Rock - Climbers for Christ
Executive Director
SRCFCDirector
Site Admin

Postby Corey_Messer » Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am

Andrew!

That schedule is bomb!

I’m good with it, and agree with what Calvin mentioned. I love using the Gospel Ticklist throughout the course of the conference, and having a devo meeting at the Sun Set overlook, and the dinner at AAC!

I am going to talk with Kate and Kristi, they coordinate for AAC at the NRG and Kate was just texting me yesterday asking if Solid Rock was going to help again with craggin classic which is Sept 21-23! I’ll asked her if we can could use the AAC facility to cater a dinner Saturday Oct. 27th. at 7:30 for AAC and Solid Rock climbers with the possibility of having Eric Horst speak about his climbing trips.

Calvin, I received your test email for registration. Is that completed where I could send out a link and have people start registering?

Is there a graphic or flyer created for the event? If not I could ask the graphic design majors in my chapter to create one for us!

I personally and a bunch traveling from LU won’t be able to stay late Sunday as we have work and school on Monday.

Here is an updated schedule, my changes are in bold.

Wednesday Oct 24th
- Evening - people arriving at Ray's

Thursday Oct 25th:
-8:00 a.m.- meet at Ray's, discuss itinerary and "gospel ticklist" competition/prizes
-Daytime- just climb (perhaps have everyone pick one partner they haven't climbed with before and then head out)
-8:00 p.m.- Catered dinner at Ray’s w/communion
-9:00 p.m. - campfire speaker- the meaning of the Gospel, being a witness, authority of Christ, God's will

Friday Oct 26th:
-7:30 a.m.- small group devotionals led by chapter coordinators (have members split up and meet with other chapters)
Daytime- trad clinics @ Junkyard, Bridge Buttress, Beauty Mtn., (maybe Fern Cirque for more advanced climbers)
-8:00 p.m.- speaker/communion (people cook personal food? Possible integrate Sunset overlook location for dinner?)
-9:00 p.m. - self rescue clinic (moved to Saturday)

Saturday Oct 27th:
-7:30 a.m.- devotional/prayer led by chapter coordinators
-Daytime - trad clinic @ Junkyard, Bridge Buttress, Beauty Mtn. (Maybe Fern Cirque)
- self rescue clinic (clinic lasting just till lunch)
-7:30 p.m.- catered dinner @ AAC campfire; campfire preaching (Eric Horst?)

Sunday Oct 28th:
-7:00 a.m.- devotional/prayer led by chapter coordinators
-8:00 a.m.- assist Ray's wife with campground duties
-Daytime- just climb
-8:00 p.m.- speaker
-9:00 p.m.- conclusion and "Gospel ticklist" competition results
Corey Messer

corey.messer@gmail.com
Corey_Messer

Postby Pete P » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Corey ... I see great energy and faith in your words ... and plans. I will pray for you. I am in CA right now, and I cannot travel to the East. But I hope that your October conference will be a great event for the Lord. Thank you for your dedication!!

Solid Rock must go through a transition during the next 1-4 years, while the Lord raise up a new leader. During that time, the energy and the commitment of the Local Leaders will be the make-or-break for the organization. So stay pumped up, stay in that "good fight".

Blessings,
Pete P.
Pete P

Postby Andrew6 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi all,
I haven't met most of you, but very close to Calvin. I was with him yesterday before he passed and this conference happening was of huge importance to him. Is one of you or someone there able to take over leadership of this event? Eric Hurst si the keynote speaker and we spoke today and he wants to be kept in the loop (so maybe a facebook group or use event page on FB?) or email group

I think we all agree Calvin was great man and I hope to attend this year, if work allows, and also would be nice to do some sort of tribute for Calvin.

Blessings to all,
Andrew Hunzicker
Andrew6

Postby Corey_Messer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Andrew,

What is your email address? I can add you to the email chain that we have going. Give me a call at 304-541-1174 and we can talk more. Andrew Leich and I are planning the conference and would love your help!
Corey Messer

corey.messer@gmail.com
Corey_Messer

Postby Pete P » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Andrew Hunzicker

I think it would be appropriate for someone - perhaps you - to start a new thread about Calvin's last days. What thoughts and plans were on his mind? Did he realize that the Lord might take him suddenly?

I say these things ... because most of us who live remotely from Oregon were really shocked at Calvin's sudden departure. He seemed happy and confident. In the messages I saw, he was planning the future ... 2018, 2019. The sudden reversal of events was a big shock to many people.

I am confident that Calvin is walking with the Lord now. Yes, he served God in a mighty way. So I hope that God will raise up a new generation of leaders for Solid Rock.

Blessings,
Pete Pollock
Pete P

Postby emmausmike » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks for all the work that is being put into organizing this year's conference. I'm trying to work out the details to see if I can make the trip and attend but either way know that I am praying for each of you and for those who will attend.
emmausmike

Postby SRCFCOffice » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 am

I hear the conference is coming together nicely, thanks for all your work! Let the office know if you need any help!
JoJo
SRCFC Headquarters
SRCFCOffice
Site Admin

Postby Huckekiah » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am

Hey, Huck here. Planning on attending the conference. I'm looking for partners. Anyone planning on staying til the 30th-31st?
Huckekiah

Postby kristin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi Huck! I need to leave on the 29th or 30th, but might be able to climb at least on the 29th. Look forward to meeting you at the conference!
-Kristin Anderson
kristin

Postby SRCFCOffice » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to remind you that you can sign up for the National Conference on our website so that we can know who is coming and help make arrangements.
https://www.srcfc.org/Events/National_Conference_2018
I love how this is all coming together!
JoJo
SRCFC Headquarters
SRCFCOffice
Site Admin

Postby SRCFCOffice » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi everyone!
I am getting so excited for this conference. I am praying. I asked my Bible Study group to be praying for it as well. Praying for good weather and for a lot of great connections. Praise the Lord we can meet together and share about Him!
JoJo
SRCFCOffice
Site Admin

Return to Gather Around the Campfire