What's your plan?

Converse like you would around a campfire. This is a safe place for share your climbing accomplishments, discuss spiritual matters and/or chat about almost anything. Disagreement is allowed and even encouraged. But getting nasty, mean and inappropriate is not. Thanks and enjoy!

Moderators: SRCFCMedia, SRCFCDirector, SRCFCOffice

What's your plan?

Postby emmausmike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm not sure about others of you but I have always found that I get the most our of my gym time if I have at least the basics of a plan for what I want to work on. Most of the time it my be a improving particular skill or working on a project route but there's at least something in my mind that I want to achieve when I walk in the door. But recently God has been convicting me that something has been missing from my plans. Generally I'm pretty outgoing and like to chat but God has revealed to me how little time I've spent listening.

Over the past couple of months I've had some awesome opportunities to climb with fellow believers as Calvin has been writing about in the newsletters. One was an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time and one was someone I connected with through Solid Rock's FB page. In both cases the conversation was great and lots of questions were asked as we either caught up or simply got to know each other. But how often am I willing to ask similar questions of people I'm climbing with at the gym or crag? Am I making an effort to learn about who they are and what they might be going through?

Now I realize that people aren't always just going to open up and spill their life stories to a random person at the gym or crag. But the real question for me is am I willing and ready to listen to what they do share? So God has been pushing me to add listening to "my plan." And I'm trusting that if I listen there will be opportunities to encourage, to speak truth, and empathize with someone God brings my way.
emmausmike

Re: What's your plan?

Postby ReneeDegutis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 am

I'm not sure about others of you but I have always found that I get the most our of my gym time if I have at least the basics of a plan for what I want to work on. Most of the time it my be a improving particular skill or working on a project route but there's at least something in my mind that I want to achieve when I walk in the door. But recently God has been convicting me that something has been missing from my plans. Generally I'm pretty outgoing and like to chat but God has revealed to me how little time I've spent listening.

Over the past couple of months I've had some awesome opportunities to climb with fellow believers as Calvin has been writing about in the newsletters. One was an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time and one was someone I connected with through Solid Rock's FB page. In both cases the conversation was great and lots of questions were asked as we either caught up or simply got to know each other. But how often am I willing to ask similar questions of people I'm climbing with at the gym or crag? Am I making an effort to learn about who they are and what they might be going through?

Now I realize that people aren't always just going to open up and spill their life stories to a random person at the gym or crag. But the real question for me is am I willing and ready to listen to what they do share? So God has been pushing me to add listening to "my plan." And I'm trusting that if I listen there will be opportunities to encourage, to speak truth, and empathize with someone God brings my way.

That's true, people rarely share their stories, especially in gyms. I had a decent plan a couple of years ago. But when I retired, I felt like I had no strength anymore. I felt beaten and down, and nothing could make me stand up then. I felt awkward, because it was not scolding or bullying (I remembered how it was at college). It was just me in front of myself. And that was the moment when I turned to God and listened to His words. That was a blessed moment, when I felt inspired to move further, not just stand still and wait till I'm finished.. No, I found faith and I believed in myself too.
ReneeDegutis

Return to Gather Around the Campfire