Climb for Hope - Kilimanjaro

Converse like you would around a campfire. This is a safe place for share your climbing accomplishments, discuss spiritual matters and/or chat about almost anything. Disagreement is allowed and even encouraged. But getting nasty, mean and inappropriate is not. Thanks and enjoy!

Moderators: SRCFCMedia, SRCFCDirector, SRCFCOffice

Climb for Hope - Kilimanjaro

Postby Orlando » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 am

Hi there,
In August 2018 we are organizing a trip to Mt Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
The goal is not only to climb Kilimanjaro but also to raise funds to support Africa's orphans and vulnerable children. Feel like joining us?
More info on our website : http://www.climbforhope-kilimanjaro.com/en/
Kind greetings, Orlando
Orlando

Re: Climb for Hope - Kilimanjaro

Postby Pete P » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:20 pm

Hope you succeed. I know Kenya well. I did many missions trips there. As you know, Kili is actually just across the border in Tanzania. But your overall objective is excellent. I have seen Kilimanjaro, a couple of times on clear days. It is a truly impressive mountain. I know that climbers like to rattle off elevations and routes. But you really have to stand on the Amboseli Plains, in Kenya and look at Kilimanjaro, for your eyes to take in the enormous size of that volcano. It is truly massive. If you need any advice about travel in/out Kenya, or other things you can do while you are down there, I am happy to offer advice. I have driven Jeeps on the rough roads on the Kenya/Tanzania border. That - in and of itself - was no small adventure. There are also a couple of quite amazing places in the national parks that you should go and see - if you are in the Kili area.

There is an amazing historical story about Kilimanjaro. One of the first 'white people' to ever see Kili was a German Christian missionary. I believe he was German. He wrote a note about a mountain on the equator that had snow on it. The letter was widely criticized and repudiated, because people thought (back then) that it was impossible to have snow at the equator. Eventually the exploration society in London (UK) sent out a team to look, and discovered that it was completely true. Therefore, some of the first foreign eyes to ever see Kilimanjaro were Christian missionaries. This shows how active, and how bold, missionaries were - when they first started going to Africa a long ago.

Best Wishes,
Pete
Pete P

Return to Gather Around the Campfire