Moments of Unbearable Pain in Life

Converse like you would around a campfire. This is a safe place for share your climbing accomplishments, discuss spiritual matters and/or chat about almost anything. Disagreement is allowed and even encouraged. But getting nasty, mean and inappropriate is not. Thanks and enjoy!

Moderators: SRCFCMedia, SRCFCDirector, SRCFCOffice

Moments of Unbearable Pain in Life

Postby Pete P » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:50 am

The climbing world was recently stunned by the news that Mr. Hayden Kennedy had killed himself. Mr. Kennedy was in shock, after his partner in life and the person he loved, was lost due to an avalanche. Here are some words that Mr. Kennedy wrote on his personal blog recently ...

"Friends and climbing partners are fleeting, too."
"This is the painful reality of our sport, and I'm unsure what to make of it."

Do these words also ring true to you?
Do you find yourself feeling the same things?

I thought a lot about this topic recently - because I received some sad news from my own brother. His daughter also committed suicide. She was not a climber, and her circumstances were different. But the unfolding heartbreak was just as real to us. She was 19 years old, had a few 'problem incidents', got some very negative words from the authorities and society, and she decided to take her own life. It is just tragic ... when a life is lost in this way. It's hard to capture "a life lost" ... the opportunities that a person could have had ... the joys and happiness that will never be experienced by that person ... words just don't cut it.

But we are only human beings ... the Bible reminds that that in many ways our lives are like broken pottery. There are times - there WILL be times - when we face circumstances with unbearable pain. So how do we go on? The answer begins by opening the Bible and finding these words in the Book of Matthew, Chapter 11, Verses 28-30.

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
And you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Jesus Christ

I am not trivializing the pain involved- when people face truly painful circumstances. Our own family was absolutely stunned, when we lost someone dear to us. But the solution begins by looking for a higher place, something outside of ourselves, a place that transcends life and death in this world. That pathway begins with the hope that comes from God.
Pete P

Return to Gather Around the Campfire