What are your Climbing & Life Goals for 2018

Converse like you would around a campfire. This is a safe place for share your climbing accomplishments, discuss spiritual matters and/or chat about almost anything. Disagreement is allowed and even encouraged. But getting nasty, mean and inappropriate is not. Thanks and enjoy!

Moderators: SRCFCMedia, SRCFCDirector, SRCFCOffice

What are your Climbing & Life Goals for 2018

Postby Corey_Messer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm

First, what were your 2017 climbing and life goals and accomplishments? For me, I had specific training goals I wanted to incorporate throughout the year such as in Yoga/climbing, remembering to breathe or having conscious breath, incorporate Prodigy Hangs/ Ladder or rung walks, waiting for 3 seconds on routes between each movement, working on my endurance by traverse “x” amount of moves, and having precision movements especially with my hands so I would not have to adjust. From these training goals, I broke into the 5.12s this fall and started sending my projects.

In 2017 I had specific life goals and accomplishments such as traveling to Nepal for Missions work, interning this summer at an engineering missionary non-profit, starting the Lynchburg Chapter of Solid Rock, and assistant coaching for Liberty University's Climbing team.

Reflecting on 2017 and thinking in 2018 I started to write down some climbing and life goals, such as visiting the Red River Gorge, going to Morocco for a climbing festival in April, bouldering v7/v8 and working out with my team consistently, graduating and accepting an engineering position in Lynchburg, continue to work with Solid Rock and the climbing team, and possibly finding a lifelong climbing partner.

As I was looking up scripture to help reach these goals, many referred to strengthing yourself in the Lord, delighting yourself in the Lord, trusting in the Lord, allowing the Lord to establish your steps, and being diligent in the Lord.
- But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. - Chronicles 15:7
- May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. - Psalm 20:4
- Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heat. - Psalm 37:4
- Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. - Psalm 127:1
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. - Proverbs 3:5-6
- Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. - Proverbs 16:3
- In their hearts, humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. - proverbs 16:9
- The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance. - Proverbs 21:5

Then I started to ponder how do I actually strengthing myself in the Lord, delighting myself in the Lord, trusting in the Lord, allowing the Lord to establish my steps, and being diligent in the Lord. John Piper refers to strength in the Lord coming from the joy in the Lord, by Praying for eyes to behold the glory of God, finding hope in the glory, rejoicing from that hope, and being strengthened in the joy of the Lord. https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/ho ... n-the-lord

1 Samuel 30:1-8 record a very intense situation David was facing and how he strengthened himself in the Lord.
- David battled in the Lord’s strength, David and his men returned to camp where their wives and children were captured and their camp was burned by the Amalekites
- On top of this David’s own army started to rebel against him and wanted to kill him
- In this moment David strengthened himself in the Lord
- “You could even say that David preached the gospel to himself that is, reminding himself of who God is and what he had done. For us today, we can remember the victory won on the cross by our Savior. If God loves us enough to sacrifice his only Son, won’t he help us in our times of weakness? Romans 8:32 says, He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?” http://unlockingthebible.org/2015/09/wh ... -the-lord/
- David remembered what the Lord had done in his life, prayed and received direction from the Lord then followed obediently.

To be strong, to delight yourself, to trust in, to allow the lord to establish, to be diligent in the lord is not about being perfect and never letting anything in life distract you or knock you off track, but continually returning to the Lord in times of joy and hardship, and he will strengthen you, delight your spirit, give your trust, establish your steps, and provide your with the diligence that is needed to fulfill the goals and plans he has put in your life for this year!
Corey Messer

A laborer in the Harvest,
SRCFC: Lynchburg Chapter Coordinator
Cell: (304) 541-1174
corey.messer@gmail.com
Corey_Messer

Return to Gather Around the Campfire